The solution included the supply of 2,000 Biometric Registration Kits (BRK) with integrated biometric hardware and customized software modules; customized registration centre backpacks and accessories; data collection centres; a national ID central data management system; in-country project management and logistics for the duration of the program; equipment maintenance and spares supply; and a unique battery and solar power solution for continuous, uninterrupted registration in remote areas. The battery and solar power solution was incredibly effective with the large majority of the power supply for the registration equipment coming from solar power.
Some 4,780 NRB officials were trained and deployed for the program, with Laxton providing technical support for registration centres across the country. Laxton established a project office in Lilongwe with technical support staff who were based locally in Malawi for the duration of National ID Registration program.
- Biometric Registration Kits including: built-in fingerprint scanner, electronic signature pad, camera and Photo ID assembly, document scanner, thermal printer, and laptop
- Central Biometric Record Management System and Data Collection Centre – including a customized software interface to consolidate new data to the existing National Registration and Identification System (NRIS) database, and allow for continuous registration
- The BRK’s are housed in rugged, man-portable, lightweight, IP64, water resistant, dustproof and shock proof cases
- BRK cases are internally lined with high-density size-matching foam to secure and store the registration equipment on a long term basis
- Battery & Solar Power Systems to ensure no downtime during the registration program
- Backpacks to house and transport accessories including solar panel and stand, photobooth, receipt books, and manuals, thermal sticker rolls, USB mouse, adaptors, tool and maintenance kit, and cables
- In-country project management including: project implementation, logistics, technical support, supply chain management, and training of National Registration Bureau officers